5 Books I Enjoyed in 2018




This year I didn’t cover nearly as much ground with reading as I usually do. I found that much of my time, instead of spent learning and growing through reading, was wasted mindlessly scrolling through social media. One of my (many) New Years goals? Read more. Scroll less. Nevertheless, I read through a handful that I would recommend. Here are some of them!

  1. When People are Big and God is Small by Ed Welch


If you struggle with people pleasing, this is one for you! Ed Welch is a Christian psychologist that unpacks the spiritual condition of fearing man in place of God, the detrimental effects it has, and provides practical steps to overcome this struggle. I found it to be informative, theological, and easily implementable. Though there remains much work to be done for me in this particular struggle, this book was instrumental in laying some groundwork in seeking and experiencing freedom from it. 

  1. A Shepard Looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller


A Shepard Looks at Psalm 23 is just that! A modern day Shepard unpacks the meaning of Psalm 23 in a way that illuminates a relevance and significance that is often missed today due to the difference of our culture from that of the psalmist’s who penned it. I found this short book to encourage my faith with a deeper comprehension of God’s tenderness and care as revealed in Psalm 23. Definitely check this one out!

  1. It’s Not Supposed To Be This Way by Lysa Terkeurst 


This book was recently released, and I read it in the heavy weeks following the loss of our baby. There are little words to express how deeply God moved in my heart throughout my reading of these pages. I appreciated her candidness of her own suffering she was enduring through her writing of it (a cancer diagnosis and the adultery of her husband). For me, the power was found in her admittance throughout its pages that she remained on grounds yet to yield to breakthrough. In addition to its commentary on heavy suffering, it also speaks to those women who are walking through daily disappointments as well; a read for every woman! A profound message of hope in the midst of great sorrow and disappointment is offered through Lysa’s writing. I would specifically recommend it to those women who are walking through a season of painful discouragement. 

  1. The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer 


I love theology books, so I am surprised it took me so long to get to this classic. In a culture that often seeks to make Christ palatable and faith egotistical, this convicting read was refreshing and challenging. Then integrity of Bonhoeffer’s life as a martyr brought a greater appreciation and respect to his words, knowing he had lived them out to his death. I would recommend reading this one to move back towards a Biblical perspective of discipleship.

  1. Come Matter Here by Hannah Brencher


If you don’t know who this writer is, you’re welcome! Steady in faith personable in writing, I am a huge fan of Hannah Brencher. Her discussion of mental health within the context of faith is a refreshing perspective the church desperately needs. This book encourages readers to “be where the feet are”; to show up to that which God has placed your feet upon, not dismissing the present in the guilt of the past or the pursuit of the future. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a theologically sound and comical read about pursuing the fullness of God and His calling-right where your feet are.

I hope this provided you with some books to add to your reading list for 2019! Leave a comment below with some of your favorites of the year!


Comments