Skip to main content

Top 10 Reads of 2016

This year I broke my record; I am about to start my 28th book so far! (I am hoping to squeeze in some more before the new year rings in). I was so impacted and changed through some of the books I read that I decided to compile a list for you to reference if you're looking for a new book to dive into. Each of the books I have listed I would highly recommend. I have provided the link to order a copy of each book- as well as one of its quotes- in its description.
This list is not in ranking order.
I hope you enjoy!
(Note: I also read several amazing marriage books this year; I decided to save those for an upcoming blog specifically listing my favourite marriage books. Stay tuned!)
1) Walking with God through Pain and Suffering, Timothy Keller
You guys. This booked rocked my whole world/life/heart. Seriously. I received this for Christmas (because I am an avid Tim Keller fan), and I packed it away, planning to pull it out when I needed it. I didn't know then that it would be less than a month after receiving it that I would be in a serious car accident and hospitalized for two months (you can read about that here: http://www.livmiddlemiss.com/january-23-2016/). I remember coming out of surgery and hearing the news that I wouldn't be home any time soon, and desperately searching the Internet to find some comfort & guidance for those in the midst of suffering- no, not once you've be reached the other side, but in the midst of the pain & awfulness of trials. This book was brought to me that week, and I couldn't stop reading it. I literally could not have made it through my time in the hospital without this book. Strong in its Biblical and theological examination of suffering, it also presents a personalized, charismatic, empathetic approach to pain. One thing I really was affected by in this particular book was its ending to each chapter- Tim Keller provides a personal testimony from someone in his church that was in the midst of a suffering ordeal to close the chapter. I was deeply moved as I read of people battling the pain of adultery, disease, and death- so candidly sharing their heart for Christ in the fiery trial. All testimonies were of those not yet on the side of breakthrough, but clinging to the victory solely found in Christ. Between the personal testimonies providing empowerment and the theological analysis presenting Biblical truth, I was strengthened in the impossible pain I was facing. This book is at the top of my list; I think it will always be near to my heart and one of my favourites. I would highly recommend reading it.
"But we also learn from this story that God is with us in the fire. That is a metaphor that means he knows what it's like to live through the miseries of this world-he understands. It means he is near, available to be known and depended upon within the hardship. He walks with us, but the real question is-will we walk with him?"
2) The Pursuit of God, A. W. Tozer
I just finished this one last night, and it was an incredibly challenging, thought-invoking, life-reorienting read. Challenging modern day Christians to reignite their passionate pursuit of God's heart, Tozer presents his case for the basics of the Christian faith, and the subsequent supplications in the life of the believer. Infused with his personal prayer and revelation of God's nature and character, Tozer invites readers into a deeper place of reflection of the faith, calling the church to action. I was challenged, encouraged, convicted, and inspired throughout the duration of this book. This is definitely one to read slowly and reflectively, as Tozer presents thorough and deep ideas for his readers. More than any other book I have yet read, this one has challenged and convicted me of the stagnancy in my faith.
"To have found God and still to pursue Him is the soul's paradox of love, scorned indeed by the too-easily-satisfied religionist, but justified in happy experience by the children of the burning heart."
3) Prayer, Timothy Keller
Again on my list is another of Tim Keller's books- Prayer. This has been the most thorough, comprehensive book I've yet read on prayer. From the beginning I was eager to dig into its pages, as Keller describes his intent behind writing the book; he noted that a vast majority of literature on prayer was written several years ago in a style of writing that is comprehensive and extensive beyond the scope of the common layman. Prayer was written to communicate the Biblical and theological account for prayer, and includes various forms of techniques and practices for the reader to adopt to develop stronger prayer in their daily lives.
"Prayer is the only entryway into genuine self-knowledge. It is also the main way we experience deep change—the reordering of our loves. Prayer is how God gives us so many of the unimaginable things he has for us. Indeed, prayer makes it safe for God to give us many of the things we most desire. It is the way we know God, the way we finally treat God as God. Prayer is simply the key to everything we need to do and be in life."
4) Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis
A Christian classic, Lewis presents a thorough, comprehensive, and original depiction of the faith. Through comprehensive illustrations, philosophical examination, and theological consideration, Lewis provides an effective means to draw near to the heart of God- whether his reader identify as Christian, atheist, or anything in between.
"My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?”
5) Erasing Hell, Frances Chan
Written in response to the varying suggestions as to the reality of the afterlife, Chan presents both the common, modern suggestions regarding eternity, and the Biblical responses. Though I struggled and grappled with the gravity of this topic throughout this read, I was able to deeply study the Biblical stances regarding heaven and hell. Chan's argument strongly resonated with me- we cannot afford to be wrong on this issue.
"Don't believe something just because you want to, and don't embrace an idea just because you've always believed it. Believe what is biblical. Test all your assumptions against the precious words God gave us in the Bible.”
6) The Hole in our Holiness, Kevin Deyoung
I loved this book. Written to challenge Christians to take up the calling of holiness, Deyoung presents the Biblical explanation of what is it to be "holy", what the implications are, and the subsequent practical applications for readers. I enjoyed this read because I find there to be a lack of dialogue in Christian conversation regarding holiness; after reading this book I am convinced that it is of utmost importance to carefully examine God's stance on holiness, and cautiously implement and introduce holiness in a tangible, God-honouring way into our lives. Take a read!
"Shouldn't those most passionate about the gospel and God's glory also be those most dedicated to the pursuit of godliness? I worry that there is an enthusiasm gap and no one seems to mind."
7) Wreck My Life, Mo Isom
This book is a must read! I first discovered Mo Isom on her blog (read here: http://moisom.com/blog/), and fell in love with her transparent, vulnerable, and wise voice speaking of God's heart. (Much of my inspiration and drive behind my own writing has been influenced by her dedication to the craft of writing as a sacrament to God.) After reading and following her writing for over a year, she released Wreck My Life (which has already made it to a #1 New York Times Bestseller!). Mo authentically discusses her life, and I love that she does so in such an inviting and transparent way. She shares the pain of family loss, the struggle of eating disorders, and her experience in a tragic car accident, as well as varying moments and experiences in between. I found solace in her writing, not only because our stories are so similar, but because there is an undercurrent striding all throughout the book of partnering with the reader in their pains, and coupling in their striving for the more of Christ in their own stories. Go out and get this book!
"Lastly, I became overwhelmingly aware that I was a purposed masterpiece. [...] All of the adversity and wreckage sent pieces crumbling. But then I saw God gather up the pieces and take them to a strong, stable workbench. I watched Him lay out the shards of my broken, fractured life, and began to sift through them as if He had a vision in mind. One by one he picked up the pieces and slowly crafted them back together, but when He stepped away and revealed His work He hadn't restored me into a clean pane like before. Instead, He had formed a beautiful mosaic that His light could shine through and reflect and retract to reach people and places it never could have before." COME ON YOU GUYS. So good.
8) Fireseeds, Dan Hayes
This book amazed and challenged me to reconsider the power of prayer. This read follows the history of Christian revivals, centralizing the predominant role that prayer has played in each of them. Readers are called to participate in God's plans to call people to Him through fervent prayer. I was inspired and amazed to realize that the greatest Christian revivals globally have all started in the same way- with one person on their knees, pleading for God to move. This is a must read for every Christian.
"Revival, I define as a work of God by His Spirit through His Word, bringing the spiritually dead to living faith in Christ and renewing the inner life of Christians who have grown slack and sleepy. In revival, God makes all things new, giving new power... and new spiritual awareness to those whose hearts and consciences have been blind, hard, and cold."
9) Jesus>Religion, Jefferson Bethke
This read provides a thorough, yet simplified depiction of the Gospel. Bethke is also the author of the YouTube sensation "Why I Hate Religion, but Love Jesus" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY), along with a variety of other videos and books. I love this book and would highly recommend it to everyone, regardless of your religious perspective-Bethke has something for everyone. I particularly enjoyed this read because of the personalized voice that Bethke injects into it; he is vehemently unafraid to proclaim the Gospel, authentically shares his own experiences, and voices his own reservations and questionings of the dialogue surrounding the Christian faith. Relatable and vulnerable, thorough and digestible, this book is a great read I would strongly recommend.
"The Bible isn't a rule book. It's a love letter. I'm not an employee. I'm a child. It's not about my performance. It's about Jesus' performance for me. Grace isn't there for some future me but for the real me. The me who struggled. The me who was messy. [...] He loves me in my mess; he was not waiting until I cleaned myself up.”
10) King's Cross, Timothy Keller
(I would like to preface this by acknowledging that, yes, Tim Keller made 3 of my top 10 books, and, yes, he is just that good.) 😊
Studying the life and death of Jesus in the Gospel account of Mark, Keller presents a renewed, in-depth perspective and glimpsing into the persona of Jesus. One of my favourite things about Tim Keller is his consistent portrayal of basic Christian truths in fresh, new ways; King's Cross is no exception! Discussing the Kingship and sacrifice of Christ, I was challenged and inspired to press deeper into the heart of Jesus. I would highly recommend this book!
"[Jesus] is both the rest and the storm, both the victim and the wielder of the flaming sword, and you must accept him or reject him on the basis of both. Either you'll have to kill him or you'll have to crown him."
I hope you enjoyed the list, & that it finds your bookshelf & heart more full.
(& maybe your Christmas list, too 😉).
Love,
Liv <3

Comments